Small washer dryer combo
Don’t have much room at home, but would like to wash and dry your laundry? Then a small washer-dryer might be just the thing for you. Before you buy one, you should think about what a small washer-dryer is and what the advantages and disadvantages are. To make things a little easier, we have gathered all the information you need about small washer-dryers here.
Buying a small washer dryer combo
A washer dryer combo for a small space.
Do you want to buy a washer dryer? Then you should ask yourself a few questions. For example, think about the dimensions you are looking for and whether there are other space-saving options. Here you can find answers to the two most important questions.
When is a combined washer and dryer small?
A washer-dryer is small when it is about 55 centimeters wide (including the housing). It usually has a fill weight of between 6 kg and 8 kg for washing and between 4 kg and 5 kg for drying.
This is about 10 centimeters smaller than a washer-dryer with a fill weight of 10 kg for washing and 8 kg for drying, which are often about 65 centimeters wide.
Also keep in mind with a small washer-dryer that you need at least 50 centimeters at the front to be able to open and close the door properly. If the door cannot be opened properly, it will be difficult to load and unload your laundry.
Also on the back side you need to take into account that you will need about 15 centimeters to accommodate all the plugs and hoses.
Built-in washer dryer combo
If you are looking for a small size washer-dryer because you don’t have that much space, you might want to consider a built-in model. You can then hide the appliance neatly away in your kitchen or bathroom, leaving you with no extra space to spare.
However, you should be aware that there are far fewer models to choose from when it comes to built-in models. Not every washer-dryer can be built-in, making it much harder to find a model with energy class A, for example. You’ll have to match your requirements to the range on offer.
Best small washer dryer combo of 2022
Start the quick decision aid
find your ideal washer dryer combo
Washer dryer combo decision aid
What to look out for when buying a small washer dryer combo
Instead of a separate washing machine and dryer, would you like a small washer-dryer combination? Then it’s a good idea to think about some other features in addition to size.
First of all, you should consider that the fill weight of a small combined washer and dryer is much lower than that of a regular model. So first weigh how much laundry you actually have. In general, a household of 1 person will have 5 kg to 6 kg of laundry and a family of 3 persons will have 8 kg per wash. Don’t forget to take into account how many times you wash. Even on your own, you can quickly reach 10 kg of laundry if you only do a wash once a week.
In addition, a small washer-dryer is often placed in a small space, so the noise level also becomes an important factor. So always try to choose a model that produces less than 73 dB of noise. That way you can be sure that the noise will not bother you. This level is always measured at the loudest time: when the machine is spinning, during washing and drying the noise level will be even lower.
The different options of the washer-dryer should also play an important role in your choice. For example, if you attach a lot of importance to washing your laundry correctly you should look carefully at the different programs that the washer-dryer has. For example, some garments should only be dried at a certain temperature or need a special wash program for a specific fabric.
Finally, it is also worth checking out what energy class the washer-dryer has. With a washer and dryer in one, the energy consumption is often a bit higher than you are used to. Energy class A is the most economical and energy class F the least. On an annual basis, this can make a big difference to your energy costs, so it’s wise to calculate for yourself what each model can cost you.
The pros and cons of a small washer dryer combo
Many brands offer small washer-dryers, from Siemens, Miele and Whirlpool to Aeg. They all have different advantages and disadvantages, but there are also some that apply to any washer-dryer.
There are some advantages of the washer-dryer combination that are obvious, but you may not know everything yet. Here we have listed for you the most frequently mentioned advantages of a washer-dryer combination.
- A small washer-dryer combination replaces two appliances: The biggest advantage is that a washer-dryer combo is a washer and dryer in one, so you don’t have to buy two separate appliances. This is especially useful if you have limited space at home. Please note that a small washer-dryer combination cannot always do the same as a separate washer and dryer. For example, a separate washing machine can have many different programs that better suit the way you want to wash your laundry. Also, with a stand-alone dryer, you often have more different options when it comes to programs.
- Wash and dry in one turn: Most washer-dryers come with a nonstop function where you can wash and dry your laundry in one turn. This is very convenient, for example, when you don’t have that much time. You turn on the appliance in the morning, you go to work and when you come home you only have to take out your laundry and put it away. The washer-dryer combination continues nonstop, so it is not necessary to set a drying program after washing yourself. Please note that the non stop function is not available for all wash programs. If you have a full load of 8 kg, 9 kg or 10 kg, chances are you can only dry between 4 kg and 6 kg. You can then not wash and dry non stop, but you must first reduce the weight of your laundry to the maximum fill weight for drying.
- The washer-dryer is easy to hide: A small model washer-dryer is easy to integrate into the rest of your home. If you have a spare corner somewhere in the hallway, utility room or bathroom, a washer-dryer can usefully fill that space. Instead of having to install a separate washer and dryer in a different location, you can now have all those functions in one place. You can use the other space for something else. Please note that for a washer-dryer combination you always need a connection. The appliance must be able to be supplied with water and electricity. Don’t forget that the water also needs to be drained.
The mistake that many people make when buying a washer-dryer is that they focus too much on the advantages. This is because it sounds very appealing to have one appliance that can perform the tasks of two appliances, and as a result they forget that a washer-dryer combination is not the same as a separate washer and dryer.
- You have less choice: Not all brands offer small washer-dryer combinations, so it’s not always possible to get the model of your choice in a small version. That means you’ll probably end up with a model that doesn’t have all the features you’re looking for. Instead of energy class A you might end up with energy class C and maybe the small washer-dryer doesn’t have all the wash programs you’re looking for either. Some brands do cleverly capitalize on the demand for small washer-dryers. For example, the aeg l7wb86gw is available in multiple sizes. The model is made with a fill weight of 8 kg for washing and 6 kg for drying, but also with 6 kg for washing and 4 kg for drying. Please note that the small model with energy class D is a lot less economical than the larger variant with energy class C.
- A different fill weight for washing machine and dryer: The drum of a washer-dryer combination has a separate maximum fill weight for washing and drying. This is because you need more space in the drum for drying laundry. On average, the difference is between 2 kg and 4 kg. So if your washer-dryer holds 8 kg of laundry, you can only dry 6 kg. A small washer-dryer already has a smaller fill weight than a normal washer and dryer, so you should take into account that sometimes you can only dry 5 kg or 4 kg at once. This is not always convenient for a large household, as it may mean that you have to dry several kilograms of laundry in a different way. If you’re wondering exactly how much a 6 kg fill weight means, you should consider that in a household of one person you will have about 6 kg of laundry. For 2 people, you should consider 8 kg and a family of more than 4 people will wash about 9 kg.
- It is difficult to find a small washer-dryer combination with energy class A: The technology of wash-dry combinations is not yet as well developed as that of the washer and dryer separately. The combination of the small weight of the drum and the heating element used to dry your laundry is a real energy guzzler. In fact, with the same amount of energy, you can dry a 10 kg load of laundry instead of 5 kg. Instead of energy class A, most washer-dryers have energy class C or D. This should not scare you too much, because the rules regarding energy labels have been tightened considerably in recent years. A washer-dryer in energy class C was probably classified in energy class A or higher before this change.