What are washing machine bearings?
Bearings, also known as ball bearings, are metal parts that help the drum of your washing machine turn smoothly. Bearings are found on almost all rotating parts of machines.
When should washing machine bearings be replaced?
You will notice that bearings are due for replacement or repair when the drum no longer turns smoothly. You can easily test this by rotating the drum by hand and by listening for unnecessary noise during the spin.
If your washer’s ball bearings are worn, it is a good idea to replace them immediately. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that the drum and other components in your machine will be damaged.
Tip: Does your machine make a lot of noise but the drum spins smoothly? If so, your washer may not be level.
Buy new washer bearings
Bearings are sold separately at hardware stores, but you can also quickly order them online. If you’re unsure about the size and type of bearings you need, it’s best to keep an old bearing handy. Do you find rust when you check the bearings? Then it is wise to replace both bearings and the bearing Simmigering (for bearing seal). Below are the best washing machine bearings currently on the market.
How to replace washing machine bearings?
Maintaining a washing machine repair can be quite costly. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to replace washing machine bearings yourself. By doing it yourself, you will learn more about washing machines and save money. To replace washing machine ball bearings, follow these steps.
- Make sure your washing machine is unplugged from an outlet.
- Screw off the plate on the back of the washer and remove the washer cord.
- Pull the pulley off the drum shaft, do this by loosening the bolt and then gently pulling the pulley off.
- Then remove the retaining pin from the drum shaft and remove the retaining plate to expose the bearings.
- Then remove the bore of the wax and gently tap the shaft with a wooden mallet until the drum moves forward a bit. If this works, the bearing has slid off the shaft. You can then remove the bearing.
- Clean the part of the washer with a cloth if necessary and fit the new bearing.