What is a camping washing machine?
A camping washing machine is also called a mini washing machine. The name ‘mini washing machine’ gives it away a bit, they are not big. They have a fill weight (washing capacity) of at least 2 kg, but there are also camping washing machines that can hold 5 kg of laundry. These are ideal for small loads – ideal for camping! Many mini washing machines also have a built in spin cycle, which spins the drum extra hard so your laundry comes out drier.
A camping washing machine has several advantages:
- Easy to carry: Their compact size makes them easy to move around, and ideal for taking on vacation. It is a relatively small machine, making it easy to find a place in your caravan, motorhome or boat.
- Wash when and where you want: Mini washing machines are mainly used at the campsite so you don’t have to go to the launderette to wash your clothes. You are no longer dependent on opening hours, limited availability or the chance that your campsite does not have a washing machine.
- Allergies: Some people are allergic to certain detergents or fabric softeners. By having your own small washing machine, you no longer run the risk of having an allergic reaction from someone else’s detergent.
- Fast washing: A mini washing machine is a lot faster than a regular washing machine. Most wash programs take no more than 15 minutes. This gives you more time to enjoy your vacation!
- Economical: a mini washing machine consumes a lot less energy and water than a normal washing machine. This is largely because the machine is small and they run for a shorter time. Most camping washing machines therefore have energy class A or A+.
They are also regularly purchased by students. Mainly because a mini washing machine does not take up much space, consumes relatively little water and energy and is easy to (re)place.
The best camping washing machine of 2022
If you go on vacation for a long time or just regularly, a private device that you can wash and spin is very convenient. The choice of camping washing machines is not as large as for normal washing machines. However, it can be difficult to decide. For this reason, we have made a list of the best camping washing machines currently on the market. We have taken into account the energy label, the size, the weight, the washing capacity and the washing programs. We hope there is something in there that suits you!
Buying a camping washing machine: what to look out for?
Are you buying a new camping washing machine soon? Or maybe even your first one? Then you might not know what to think about.
- Wash capacity: The capacity of the drum, also called the fill weight, indicates how many kg of laundry fits in the drum. For a small washing machine, this starts at 2 kg, but 3 kg is also common. The maximum capacity is 5 kg. This is enough to wash a few garments at a time.
- Size:Probably you already have an idea about where you want to place the mini washing machine. Usually on a boat, camper or caravan you don’t have that much space, and the size plays a big role. So, measure out exactly how much space you have in advance.
- Weight: Since you will be taking the camping washing machine with you when you travel, weight is an important factor. The weight of a mini washing machine is of course never as heavy as a normal washing machine, but there can still be a big difference. Allow for a weight of between 5 and 15 kg.
- Wash programs: a camping washing machine has several programs. In these you generally have less choice than you will be used to, but there are options. For example, for stains, hand wash or cotton.