Why should you clean your washing machine?
If you don’t keep your washing machine clean, there is a big chance that you get scale in the machine or that a bad smell comes out of the drum. For that reason it is important to clean your washing machine regularly, once a month is generally enough. By cleaning your washing machine regularly you can prevent or solve limescale and fat lice. Below you can read about what limescale and fat lice are and why you should avoid them.
What is limescale?
Our tap water naturally contains calcium and magnesium. In principle, there is no harm in having these minerals in the water, but when they are heated, limescale forms. You can see this happen in your kettle, near your shower head, but also near the heating elements of your washing machine. If lime gets on them, it can take longer for the water to heat up, which will increase the price of your energy bill. Over time, limescale can also cause the heating elements to fail. Don’t worry, we’re not literally talking about lice! But a fresh story this isn’t either. Grease lice is an accumulation of detergent residue, lint, dander, skin fats and hair. Often this forms a grey goo in the rubbers of your washing machine or in the soap drawer. It usually occurs because there is some detergent left over. Then all kinds of dirt sticks in there. Lard is a breeding ground for bacteria and causes your washing machine to smell. At some point your laundry smells like it and causes stains on your clothes.
The best washing machine cleaner
Do you have a smelly washing machine? Or suffer from limescale? No one wants that. Luckily, with a good washing machine cleaner you can get rid of it in no time. Below you will find a list of the best products to get your washing machine clean and lime-free.
How to use a washer cleaner?
If you are suffering from a smelly washing machine, a washer cleaner is the solution for you. This product is designed to make your washing machine smell nice and fresh again. It removes all the dirt and grime and makes sure your washing machine works perfectly again! Below you’ll find our tips on how to use a washing machine cleaner. First of all, did you know you can also use this product to clean a dishwasher?
And we would like to say that different products work differently. The size of your washing machine also plays a role.
- Start by emptying the drum of your washing machine
- Use the measuring cup provided and pour 100 grams of detergent into the detergent compartment. Do not add extra detergent
- Rinse the measuring cup and close the washing machine
- Make sure you have enough detergent.Set a wash program to 60 degrees with no pre-wash
- Plug the machine on and let it do its work without interruption. That’s it!
How to keep your washing machine clean?
If you never want a smelly washing machine again, we also have several tips on how to get rid of the bad smell. In the spirit of prevention, our tips for keeping washing machines clean are here! When our laundry doesn’t smell as fresh, we tend to use more detergent. But this is counterproductive! Detergent residue gets stuck in the rubbers and the soapbox of the washing machine. All sorts of dirt collects there, causing grease lice to form. This is often the reason for a smelly washing machine and an unpleasant smell on the laundry.
- Even if you prefer not to use washing machine cleaner, it is a good idea to do a boil every now and then. This is a wash, without laundry, at a minimum of 90 degrees and removes a lot of dirt too. Do this once a month. You can also add a dash of vinegar or baking soda. This is also very effective at preventing or removing limescale.
- Clean the soap dish after every wash. No water flows through it, and therefore detergent residue tends to get stuck in here. This is solved by simply passing a cloth through it.
- Let the washer dry. By opening the washer door after each wash, you give the drum a chance to dry properly. Bacteria love damp places, so a drum that still has water in it is a paradise for them.