Which washing machine suits my family
A washing machine for a family is not a luxury but a necessity nowadays. To keep the household running, a washing machine full of laundry has to be started and unloaded several times a week. To make this household chore as easy as possible, washing machines on the market today have several features.
The washing machines are becoming more and more user friendly. For example, a number of washing machines can be controlled remotely and you can use an app to check how far the washing machine has progressed in its programme. And with the AddWash washing machine, you can add that one pair of trousers that was dirty when the washing machine was turned on. This is very convenient for busy families!
Best washing machines for a family in 2023
Washing machine payload against persons
The number of people in a family determines the desired fill weight, also known as the load capacity. This is the amount of laundry in kilograms that can fit into the drum, washing it to a good quality. For a family of 3, we recommend a load weight of 7kg. For a family of 4-5, we recommend a load weight of 8-9 kilograms. For a family of more than 5 persons, we recommend a fill weight of 10-12 kilos. It is not always the right choice to go higher than recommended. A half-full washing machine will consume unnecessary energy per wash. If a washing machine has a load sensor, and the wash programs are adjusted to the fill weight, this is less important. However, it is advisable to buy a washing machine that is suitable for the number of people in your household, because then you will wash the most energy-efficiently.
|1 – 2 people||3 people||4 people||5 people||6 people|
|6 kilogram||7 kilogram||8 kilogram||10 kilogram||12 kilogram|
What to look out for when buying a washing machine
Washing machines come in many shapes and sizes. If you are not an expert in this area, it can be difficult to know what to look for. Because you are buying a washing machine for a number of years (preferably as long as possible), you want to make sure you choose a suitable and user-friendly model. Features of the washing machine that you should look for are: fill weight, energy consumption, ease of use, washing preferences, wash quality, build quality, wash programmes and possibly the noise level and even brand specific extra features. We take a closer look at the different parts and what you can look for.
- Energy class: The energy class of a washing machine varies from A+ to A+++. The higher the percentage, the more economical. This can make a considerable difference in energy costs. A more expensive but environmentally friendly model can therefore pay for itself by saving energy, especially if you look at the savings over the life years of the washing machine.
- Filling weight: If you choose a washing machine for a family, then you are assuming 3 or more people. For 3 to 4 people, 8 kilograms is enough, but for 5 or more people, 9 kilograms is more appropriate. Taking the right number of people into account is useful to avoid using unnecessary energy. Too high a load results in unnecessarily empty washing drums, which can lead to wasted energy and water if there is no load sensor. A too small fill weight leads to unnecessarily many washes, which can also lead to wasted water and energy, and to user dissatisfaction. These guidelines are there to help you choose the right size, you can of course always deviate from them.
- Ease of use: The ease of use is determined by various specifications, such as a residual timer, delayed start, adding wash in between, load sensor, operation via an app, automatic detergent dosing, steam function, self-cleaning detergent drawer, clothes protector, drum lighting and automatic switch-off. Which specifications a washing machine has depends on the model. Depending on your own preference you can choose for these conveniences or not. Of course, the more conveniences, the more expensive the washing machine.
- Washing preferences: A washing machine can have features that allow it to satisfy certain washing preferences, such as delicate fabrics, sensitive skin, sports clothes, extra fast (<60 minutes), water and energy efficient, reduced wear. If you are interested in any of these preferences, select them in the search.
- Washing quality: The washing quality of a family washing machine is divided into basic, medium and top classes. Laundry quality is determined by the following features: wash result A, automatic detergent dosage, load sensor, steam function, extra rinse function, clothes protector, self-cleaning detergent drawer and drum cleaning. A washing machine is considered top-of-the-range if it has at least 75% of these features. If the washing machine has between 50 and 70% of the features, it is a middle-range model. A basic class model has less than half of the features mentioned. A washing machine is available in every class. We recommend that you choose a middle or top-of-the-range washing machine.
- Build quality: The build quality can also be divided into three classes: basic class, middle class and top class. Build quality is determined by the presence of: metal housing with enamel, stainless steel drum, stainless steel tub, brushless motor, balance system, self-cleaning detergent drawer, 3 types of water protection and drum cleaning. If a washing machine has more than 70% of the above features, then it is a top class model. A 1400 rpm washing machine with 50 to 70% of the features is in the middle class. If it has less than 50% of the features, it is a basic class machine. We recommend buying a top of the range washing machine, this promises to be a more durable model. These washing machines are often a bit more expensive to buy because of their features, but they often pay for themselves because of their durability.
- Noise Level: The noise level of the washing machine varies and is on average 74 to 76 dB. A quiet washing machine has 73 dB or less and can be ideal if you run laundry mainly at night or near a child’s room. A normal washing machine has a noise level of 74 to 77 dB and a loud washing machine has a noise level of 78 dB or higher. Almost every 1400 rpm washing machine has a noise level within the ‘normal’ or ‘quiet’ category.
- Washing programmes: There are several different wash programs. As well as a short and ecological programme, there are also programmes for specific purposes, garments, types of clothing or fabrics: allergies, jeans, sportswear, outdoor clothes, sports shoes, silk, down, shirts, baby clothes, dark wash, mixed wash, bedding, curtains, impregnation and stains.
- Brand-specific additional features: Washing machines also have brand-specific features, which are linked to the brand of the washing machine itself. These features often have a distinctive name and generally make using the washing machine even easier. For example, you can add extra laundry in between washes, use the steam function or automatically dose the amount of detergent.
- Price: The price of a washing machine for the family ranges from €400 to €1500. The more expensive the washing machine, the more options it has and the greater the ease of use. In addition, a more expensive washing machine is often more durable, resulting in a longer lifespan, less wear and tear and fewer breakdowns or repairs. However, this depends on many factors and is certainly not a linear relationship. It’s worth checking whether you’re really getting more for the extra money, as this can more than pay for itself over the years, especially in the case of a more environmentally friendly model.