When is a washing machine suitable for a small family?
Not every washing machine is suitable for small households. There are an incredible number of different washing machines, and that’s because everyone has a preference for different features and specifications. One of the most important aspects of a washing machine, is its fill weight.
The drum of a small washing machine, i.e. one with a low fill weight, fills up very quickly. This means you can’t wash everything at once, which can be very annoying if you have children. You don’t want a much larger washing machine either. Large washing machines use a lot of water and energy. It is also not good for a washing machine to run with a half-empty drum. This can cause the machine to lose its balance and break down.
For families with 1 or 2 children, we therefore recommend an 8kg washing machine. Do you have 2 children or do you wash a lot, for example because you often play sports? Then we recommend a 9kg capacity. A 7kg capacity will be tight and you will need to do lots of small jobs.
Best washing machines for a small family in 2024
The lifespan of a washing machine is currently around 10 years. Therefore, we can imagine you forget what to look for when buying a new washing machine. Do you simply want the best washing machine for a family with more than 2 people? Then you’ve come to the right place! We’ve put together a list of the best washing machines of 2024 for a small household. These washing machines all have a load capacity of 8 kg or 9 kg. In making this selection, we looked at things like energy efficiency, noise level, wash quality, build quality, and the wash programs they offer. Find the best washing machine for a family with 1 or 2 children. Which washing machine will you choose?
What is a good washing machine for a small household?
A family of 3 needs a washing machine that is not too big and not too small. A fill weight of 8kg is the right choice. For a family of 4, 8 kilos will also be a good match, but they can also look at washing machines with a 9 kilo fill weight. Of course, there are more criteria that need to be considered when buying a washing machine for a family. Here are the key criteria to help you make the right choice.
- Energy Rating: Previously known as the energy label. The energy rating indicates how efficiently a washing machine uses energy. An energy-efficient washing machine has energy label A, B or C and is the best choice for the environment. An energy-efficient washing machine may be more expensive to buy, but it can save you money in the long run, as it uses much less water and energy.
- RPM: The number of spins the drum completes when spinning. New washing machines with a 8 or 9kg fill weight usually have a spin speed of 1400 rpm or 1600 rpm (rounds per minute). 1400 rpm is sufficient for most households, but 1600 rpm will get your laundry as dry as possible – which is great if you don’t have a dryer.
- Split Noise Level: Washing machines can be quite noisy, especially during the spin cycle. For this reason, you can choose a quiet washing machine. They will not produce more than 73 dB (decibels), which is a good thing if you have 1 or 2 children running around.
- Wash programs: Due to the make-up of your family, you may have a preference for certain wash programs. Many washing machines have similar programmes, but some give you a bit more. For example, specific programs for stains, baby clothes, shirts or sportswear.
- Ease of Use: There are an incredible number of features and extras that can make washing a lot easier for you with a new washing machine these days. These include a load sensor, delayed start, a self-cleaning detergent drawer and app controls. Do you think these features can help?