What is moisture emissions?
The purpose of a clothes dryer is to dry your laundry. The clothes dryer captures moisture and stores it in a reservoir or condensate pan. If your tumble dryer is connected to the water drain via a hose, the moisture is removed immediately. What is less well known is that a tumble dryer simultaneously blows warm air into the room. This warm, moist air that is spread across your laundry room is called moisture emissions. And this can be a cause for mold on your walls and fogged up windows in your laundry room.
Now you’re probably wondering where exactly this moisture emissions are coming from. After all, doesn’t your dryer drain the moisture directly? Often it has to do with the seal around the door of your clothes dryer. The better and tighter this fits, the less moisture can get through. That way, your dryer also loses heat. No type of dryer seals so tightly that no moisture is emitted at all. But some types of dryers do let less moisture through than others.
Moisture emissions; what to look for when buying a new clothes dryer?
In some rooms, it doesn’t matter much how much moisture your dryer emits, for example, because you put your dryer in a room with French windows. In other cases, however, it is more important to look at the moisture emissions. For example, because you can’t open a window, or because you know that mold easily develops in your laundry room. In that case, you want a clothes dryer with low moisture emissions. These dryers have a high condensation efficiency. Below is an overview of the different moisture emission levels of clothes dryers.
Very low moisture emission
Washing and drying in a small space without windows? Then a dryer with very low moisture emission is the most suitable dryer for you. With this, you reduce the chance of mold on the walls. These dryers have a moisture emission of 5% or less. Several dryers from Miele are a good example of this. Due to a Kevlar fiber seal around the door, very little moist air is released. This is generally a more expensive dryer, but it is a quiet dryer with lower energy consumption.
Low moisture emission
We speak of low moisture emission in dryers when the moisture emission is between 6% and 10%. The remaining 90% to 94% is blown into the room. Most dryers, including heat pump dryers, fall into this category. This type of dryer fits best in a small laundry room and is ideal in a poorly ventilated space.
Average moisture emission
If your dryer is in a room that you can ventilate well, such as a bathroom with a ventilation system or a laundry room with windows, a dryer with average moisture emission may be a good choice for you. These dryers have a moisture output of 11% or more.
Buy a dryer with low or very low moisture output
If you are looking for a new dryer that emits little moisture, you have come to the right place! In the list below, you’ll find our top 5 clothes dryers with high condensation efficiency. In making this list, we obviously looked at moisture emissions, but also at the type of dryer (the heat pump dryer is the most economical), a favorable energy label (energy class A++ or higher), the fill weight (indicates how many pounds of laundry fits in) and higher build quality. In addition, many of these clothes dryers are equipped with a self-cleaning condenser, anti-vibration feature, clothes-protecting drum, automatic shut-off and various drying programs. These are the best clothes dryers today!