Washer and dryer on top of each other tips
- Make sure the washing machine is level: This is the first and most important tip. Make sure a washing machine is on a solid surface and is level. A solid surface prevents the washing machine from ‘walking’ or being crooked. If you want to place the washing machine on a carpeted floor, make sure you put a wooden board under the machine for stability. The washing machine needs to be level in both length and width. It’s best to check this every few months. You can imagine that after a while this doesn’t have to be the case because of influences of other appliances and/or vibrations. When a washing machine is level, the chance of vibrations, lots of noise and damage is minimal. A tumble dryer on top of the washing machine will have the least problems with this.
- Make sure the dryer fits the washing machine: This is an obvious one, but sometimes forgotten. The standard dimension of the width of a clothes dryer and washing machine is 60 centimetres. However, the standard dimension of the depth varies from 55 to 70 centimeters for a washing machine and from 58 to 68 centimeters for a dryer. So you can imagine that when you don’t take this into account, you could end up in a situation where the dryer is too deep to be placed on top of the washing machine.
- Anti vibration feet under the washing machine: This is not necessary, but desirable. These feet make sure the washing machine vibrates less, and as discussed earlier, this leads to less shifting of the machine, less noise and less damage. This is extra important when you decide to put the dryer on top of the washing machine. Buy your vibration isolators here.
- Use a washer and dryer spacer: You can use a universal spacer, also called a stacking kit. These come in many shapes and sizes and are also available per brand. You can also use this when the size of the dryer is bigger than the size of the washing machine. What should you pay attention to when buying a stacking kit? In principle you can always use the universal one, but it is useful to check whether the stacking kit has to be screwed into the top of the washing machine. In case you would not be able to put the tumble dryer on top of the washing machine at a later moment, it would be a pity if there were holes drilled in the top of the washing machine. There are also dryer kits that have extendable shelves, so you can put your laundry on them or fold them, very convenient!
- Go for a washer and dryer set: If you are looking for both appliances, it is just as convenient to buy a set. In this case you know a few things for sure: the dryer fits perfectly on the washing machine, the dryer and washing machine have the same operating system, the price is favorable. The purchase of a washer and dryer set is cheaper than buying the two separate appliances.
- In case of lack of space: go for a combined washer and dryer: In case of limited space, you can always go for a washer-dryer combination. You choose one appliance with both functions. You can dry your laundry right after. There is no hassle of stacking the appliances and you only need one appliance. In that case you don’t have to put your washing machine on top of your dryer.