When is a washing machine suitable for a large family?
When you have a large family, you need a large washing machine. These have more fill weight, which is also known as the capacity of washing machines, so you can wash more laundry at the same time – which is necessary if you need to wash the clothes, towels and bedding of many people. Of course, you can also opt for a small washing machine, but then you’ll have to run a wash more often. The energy and water consumption per wash of a large washing machine is on average more than a small one. However, a washing machine with a large drum, at least 9 kg, is the best choice for large families, as it will require less frequent washings. For that reason, we would advise large families with more than two children to look for a washing machine with a capacity of 9 or 10 kg. With a large washing machine, more laundry will fit in the drum, so you only need to wash more times a week.
If you use your new washing machine too often, the life of the washing machine will deteriorate. With heavy use of the appliance, parts can get damaged and your washing machine will need replacement faster. That’s why it’s important to choose a washing machine with the right load capacity for the size of your household. Here is how much fill weight you can expect to have in your household:
- 1 or 2 people: 7kg fill weight
- A family of 3 or 4 people: 8 kilo fill weight.
- Families with more than 4 people: 9 kilo or 10 kilo fill weight
Best washing machines for a large family in 2023
Are you looking for the best washing machine for a large family, with 5 people or more? We guarantee that all the washing machines you see in the following list will fit the size and make-up of your family. Each washer has a 9kg or 10kg capacity so that all your clothes, towels and bedding can fit into the drum at the same time. When putting together this list of the best washing machines, we looked at things like energy rating, noise level, wash quality, build quality and the wash programmes they offer – to create a list of the best washing machines of 2023! The ideal washing machine for your family can be found here:
Best washing machine large familyView priceRead more
- 2View priceRead more
- 3View priceRead more
- 4View priceRead more
- 5View priceRead more
Best washing machine large family
What do you look for when buying a washing machine for a large family with children?
Washers have an expected lifespan of about 10 years. As washing machines get longer and longer, we can imagine that you might not always know what to look for when buying a new washing machine. The fill weight of a washing machine is one of the most important things to consider when buying a washing machine. But of course, there are many more aspects of a washing machine that are important. Read the following tips on buying a washing machine for 5 or more people and find the best washing machine for your large family.
- Energy Rating: The energy rating of a washing machine, formerly known as an energy label, indicates how much energy the washing machine consumes per wash. Washing machines with energy label A are the most energy efficient, and therefore the best choice for the environment. In general, A-rated machines are a little more expensive to buy, but you should know that they will keep your energy bills down and save you money in the long run.
- RPM: The more spins a washing machine completes, the drier your clothes will be. How many spins the drum completes per minute is indicated by the number of revolutions. Most 9kg and 10kg washing machines will spin at 1400 rpm, but 1600 rpm will get your laundry as dry as possible – which can be great if you don’t have a tumble dryer. Note that the rpm is for regular cotton programmes. More delicate programmes will have lower spin limits.
- Spinning Noise Level: this indicates in decibels (dB) the amount of noise a washing machine makes when spinning. This number is not very relevant if your new washing machine will be installed in the attic or a shed – but if it is in a small office or bedroom, you will want it to be as quiet as possible. In that case, we recommend that you choose a washing machine that is quiet and produces no more than 73dB of noise – up to 71dB if you want your machine to be extra quiet, for example because you want to wash at night.
- Wash programs: Different washing machines offer different programs. Due to the composition of your family, you may have a preference for a specific wash cycle that not every washing machine offers. For example, stain programmes, baby programmes, shirt programmes or sports programmes.
- Ease of Use: New washing machines have different features and options that make it easier for you to wash. These include a load sensor, delayed start, add in between washes, a self-cleaning detergent drawer and app controls. Make sure your new washing machine includes these features if you think it will benefit your family.